It’s no secret that businesses like Microsoft, HP, SAP, and Ernst and Young have realized the incredible value and ability that individuals on the autism spectrum bring to businesses. It’s also well-known that these large organizations are actively recruiting individuals with ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder).
But what about startups and smaller businesses? With over 33% of U.S. businesses employing less than 100 people, it’s the small business and startup owner that would most benefit from the talents and skills of individuals on the autism spectrum.
Below is a short list of reasons why CEOs of startups should employ individuals with ASD:
1. Innovation – Startups are known for the new ways they look at old problems. Innovation comes from thinking outside of traditional or standardized models. Individuals on the spectrum can bring a fresh and unique perspective to traditional ways of thinking.
2. Focus – We’ve all heard the stories of startup CEOs working 16 hour days as they make their dreams a reality. With their ability to focus, individuals on the spectrum make great allies to those who can’t seem to find enough hours to do what needs to be done.
3. Process Optimization – This follows innovation and focus, in that visionaries are often so invested in their methods or models, they fail to see inefficiencies or redundancies. Those on the spectrum are often the best at recognizing the quickest route to a goal.
4. Attention to detail – Mistakes in a startup are often more costly than mistakes occurring within a larger, more established organization. Individuals with ASD often have an uncanny ability to see the details in complex data sets, which would help entrepreneurs avoid costly mistakes.
5. Commitment and loyalty – There’s a saying, “people on the spectrum don’t dig many holes, they dig one hole deep.” Turnover is not only time consuming, it’s also expensive. This commitment to a work family is extremely valuable to a visionary growing their business.
Starting a new business is important work, and having the right people in the right seats goes a long way in assuring success. By employing people on the autism spectrum, CEOs and Visionaries are employing people with the skills and talents to help drive their business forward.
To learn more about recruiting and employing individuals with ASD, contact Mind Shift. We work hard every day to find meaningful careers for people on the autism spectrum, and are ready to help you find great people.